WHAT IS IN THAT MOUNTAIN?
II Timothy 3:
By Carl Braswell
Intro. Use illustration of man who owned a piece of land with a rocky mountain and a stream at the bottom. He thought it worthless until one day while climbing up the side noticed some shining rocks on the ground. They turned out to be gold nuggets. Checking closer in the creek he found larger deposits of gold. When he began to dig into the mountain he found a vein of gold worth millions of dollars.
Most people have a Bible in their homes (most purchased book in the world, the least read), but they don’t have any idea of the value in that book. What price could be put on one soul saved from the message of salvation found therein? Yet millions have found that treasure, but many of those only the nuggets and not the fortune.
We are told to “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the work of truth.” II Timothy 2:15
In our text we find a progression that a person should follow to be a true servant of God. One who has been saved, discipled and dedicated to serving God. Paul instructs Timothy to follow three steps in his Christian life if he is to be the Man of God he should be.
These are the steps found in the Word of God.
I. DELIVERANCE FROM SIN (vs. 15)
(1) This corresponds to the nuggets found along on the ground. Salvation is so simple it can easily be found in the Word of God.
(2) “From a child thou has known the holy scriptures.” This is how we are saved. Even a child can understand the plan of salvation. Really, all one needs to understand is that God loves then and Christ died for them. (Example of my salvation)
(3) “...able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” Romans 10:17 says, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Your salvation lies in that book so disregarded by the multitudes.
II. DISCIPLESHIP TO THE SAVIOR (vs. 10a)
(1) “Thou has known fully my doctrine (teaching)” This relates to the nuggets found in the creek bed. You must go looking and sifting to find these. We are instructed as believers to, “Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (II Peter 3:18)
(2) The second step of our progress with the Lord is to “Grow in grace and knowledge.” Sadly, many never get to this place. This is the reason many people end up like Peter says in II Peter 1:5-9. Lack of spiritual growth.
(3) This is where II Peter 2:15 comes in. The riches of a discipled life is found in the Word of God. This is not surface knowledge. This comes only when we begin to study (word used here is to “make haste”). Dig long, dig deep.
(4) Remember what Jesus said, “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” (Matt. 5:6)
(5) I John 5:13a “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that you have eternal life...”
(6) Some people call this progressive sanctification which is nothing more than growing daily in our Christian lives. This growth comes from the Word of God.
III. DILIGENCE TO SERVE (vs. 16-17)
(1) In this third step we begin digging out the main vein of gold in the mountain. This takes commitment, dedication and hard work.
(2) This is what I Timothy 5:17 is talking about. Did you know that the man of God who spends time laboring in the Word and doctrine (teaching) is worthy of double pay? “Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially they who labor in the word and doctrine.”
(3) Note vs. 16-17. This show us the importance of the Word of God.
(A) Source - God breathed.
(B) Purpose - profitable for doctrine (teaching), reproof (conviction), correction (to make straight), instruction in righteousness (discipline or discipleship).
(D) Application - “...man of God may be...”
a) Perfect - - means complete but a different Greek word is used here for emphasis ( harmonious combination of different qualities and powers). (Vincent Word Studies) A very special man is the man of God.
b) Throughly furnished - to equip fully, fitted out or in our terms today, out fitted.
c) Everything we need to serve God.
ARE YOU DRAWING FROM THE RICHES OF GOD’S WORD. HOW FAR ALONG ARE YOU IN YOUR PROGRESS TO HAVING ALL YOU NEED TO SERVE GOD? †